HERE’S AN ALTERNATIVE WAY TO VIEW FRIDAY 13TH ~ IT’S TAKE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY DAY!
Friday 13th can be a day when we blame superstition when things go wrong, but according to Phil Olley, a leading specialist in peak personal and professional FOCUS, it’s time to stop seeking to blame and complain, and make it a Take Personal Responsibility Day instead!
Phil says that we get in life what we expect in life. So, if we expect bad luck, and we consciously court it, we get it. Imagine then if we start Friday 13th May with a different mindset and claim “I’m taking personal responsibility to have a brilliant day” we will get that. Watch out for the positive ripple-effect from your actions whichever mindset you choose.
Our blaming and complaining culture is not only becoming a pandemic but is damaging us, our friendships, our relationships, careers and even businesses and according to Phil, all really successful people begin by taking one fundamental step: – to realise and believe they are responsible for their own success – whether that’s business, showbiz, sporting, or personal success. The top 3% percent of successful people know that in the end it’s down to them, “If it’s to be, it’s up to me!”
So this year, instead of being a bad luck harbinger and heading for a duvet day and ducking the world, on Friday 13th, Phil suggests we proactively plan to have an awesome day of taking responsibility, embracing accountability and making our own luck…good luck. So if we shift the mental FOCUS to the good things, that’s what you will create more of, because what you expect, happens!
Here are Phil Olley’s 13 Top Tips for how to make Friday 13th a spectacular TPR Day
(and you can use these tips any day of any month of any year)
1. Choose your attitude:
- No more blaming and complaining. Don’t blame the traffic, government, weather, anyone or any external factor for the way you feel. Always remember you are free to choose your attitude.
- Be happy & get lucky. Phil calls this the ‘Napoleon Factor’ as Napoleon when choosing his senior Generals always asked “Is he lucky?” – the French being “Est-ilhereux?” literally, ‘Is he happy?!’ Great attitudes create luck!
- The power of a pause. Cut up in traffic? Pause before you react. Overlooked at the checkout? Pause before you react. Turn knee-jerk reaCtion into Creation of response (“response-ability”), simply by the way you C it.
2. Know your purpose: Have goals, and if you haven’t already, write them today. If you have them already, read them, refresh them in your mind. Live on PURPOSE today.
3. Your foreground is more important than your background: Let go of the past, in order to move forward into a bright future. Stop looking back, and face the fullness of life ahead of you. The past is simply a set of lessons for you to equip you to embrace now and the future. Let go of any grudges that you are still holding onto, big or small.
4. Make your changes – taking action when you can, and know when you can’t: If something is bugging you, work out what you can take action on, and do that. Forget the stuff you can’t influence. ‘Mirror Signal Manoeuvre.’ Look in the mirror, what do you see? What does that signal? What Manoeuvre are you going to make? If you are unhappy about something in your life, make a change. Don’t bleat about it. Talk to the right person about it. Do it. Make a change today.
5. Be enthusiastic and energetic:
- Act it: Even if you don’t feel enthusiastic or excited about your day ahead, act as if you are! Pump up your energy levels and you might just become it. Instead of “must lose weight” replace with “I am gaining more energy!”
- Say it: Change your greeting: when asked “how are you?” most people say “fine”, “alright” or “not bad” which is a bit limp. Change to “Great, thanks; and you?” and mean it… and watch the difference.
- Be it: SMILE. Go on.
6. Create a clutter-free environment: Have a clear out to clear your mind, and your FOCUS. In order to attract your new life, clear out your past… and literally clear out the clutter.
7. Take control: Create an Action Plan today. Not a “to do list”, but an action plan based on your priorities and goals. Focus on achieving 3 action goals today and everyday.
8. Use visualisACTION: Create mental images of positive outcomes for every situation. Imagine the positive meeting, in advance, and you’ll have a positive meeting. Imagine hitting a deadline way before the deadline, and you will. Imagine the perfect parking space and you’ll increase the chances of getting it. Learn to have faith in yourself, and in your luck.
9. Write a personal Thank You letter today: Write this to someone who deserves your thanks. And write out 7 reasons for you to be thankful today… yes, you. Thankful.
10. Recognise opportunities and take them: There are no coincidences in life – look for the signposts that present themselves to you. They are opportunities…and you need to be ready for them. Learn to trust your intuition … when you have clear goals, your gut-feeling can signal ways forward that you would otherwise miss. Have courage to take these opportunities.
11. Do something good today, just for fun:
- For you. Or share with a good friend. Self-care and efficacy can brighten up any day! Everyone deserves to feel special.
- For someone else. However great or small, do something kind for someone else, and tell no one of it. Don’t seek praise or recognition. Just do it, and enjoy being kind.
12. Write a journal: YOU are responsible for your life story. Write down at least one “highlight” at the end of each day… start TODAY.
13. Be a good luck seeker: Decide that on this Friday 13th May 2011, YOU are going to have an amazing day of good luck, love, fortune and connections! If you adopt this mindset you can be sure there will be a superb opportunity presented for you to take. Make a long stop diary date to adopt the same on Friday 13th January 2012.