How to get help to retrain

MMM Money grass image smlThis article looks at help with the costs of training and childcare for while you are studying.

Career Development Loan

If you need financial help to study, you can apply for a Career Development Loan. This is a deferred repayment bank loan to help pay for vocational learning or education. Anyone aged 18 or over can apply for the Loan, to fund any full-time, part-time or distance learning courses of up to two years. If your chosen course is longer than two years you can use a CDL to fund part of it. You can borrow between £300 and £10,000. CDLs are available through some high street banks. You do not need to be an existing account holder but the bank may want you to open one. The Learning Skills Council pays the interest on your loan while you’re learning. You then repay it over an agreed period at a fixed rate of interest. The Career Development Loan website tells you how to apply.

Free childcare places
Children aged three and four are entitled to free part time childcare, although the standard two and a half hours a day will probably only cover part of what you need if you are studying. Places can be in school nursery or reception classes, day nurseries, playgroups or with some childminders. Contact your local Children’s Information Service to find out about this. Young parents under nineteen going back into learning get more help with childcare, several thousand pounds per child per year. Find out more by going to the Department for Education and Skills’ “Care to Learn” website

More from Family Friendly Working

Wellbeing training in workplace works

An international review of evidence on workplace learning shows workplace training specifically...
Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.