Have you been a mumpreneur for a few years and sometimes find yourself wondering why you went into business in the first place? It’s not unusual for the day-to-day grind can leave you feeling disconnected from the passion that drove your entrepreneurial flair in the beginning. So how can you reconnect with that original passion? Here are six tips…
1) Recognise that this feeling of unease is a useful message; it is telling you that you have wandered off your original heading and that you need to reconnect to your deeper self to get back on track again.
2) Reconnecting to your inner self is best done when you can spend time with other like-minded individuals. So actively seek support, perhaps by gathering a small group of fellow mumpreneurs together for an afternoon to think about your passions within the businesses. Use the next four tips to make the best use of your time together.
3) Spend time sharing your personal stories about your deeply held dreams, desires and passions. What is it that gets you out of bed in the morning? What is it that makes you go to work whistling and come home singing?
To do this you have to connect to the narrative and real story about what makes you you. What drives you to do what you do? Now is the time to rediscover and remind yourselves of what each of you is best at and passionate about. Such times of shared reflection will reconnect and realign each of you to your true self and your unique purposes.
4) Create an atmosphere and environment that is calm, relaxing and comfortable for you as a group with some reflective, calm meditative music playing in the background and spend time as a group in quiet contemplation with each other. After some time of individual reflective silence, spend as much time as you need to discuss and learn from each other how this made each of you feel and what you are noticing as a result.
5) Draw Rich Pictures. They are not meant to be works of art – they are simply there to help you reconnect with your unconscious mind. Use simple stick people, doodles, lines and arrows of connections and simple graphics to express yourself, your current situation and what needs to be done to get you back on track and reconnected to your dreams and desires and your future.
6) Create a vision board. Thinking about your intentions, desires, passions and wants, find inspiring messages, quotes, phrases and photos on the Internet and in magazines that can represent and reconnect you to your hopes and dreams. Fix them onto a board in collage form in any way that inspires you. Remember to focus on your board every day and observe how these intentions manifest into reality
About the Author:
Andrew Jenkins is a management consultant and skilled facilitator and teacher of new thinking. He is the MD of PDx Consulting Ltd, a consultancy dedicated to developing leaders, managers and executives to perform at their very best in many well-known organisations across the world. He is also author of ‘You are more than you think – the return to your authentic self’. See: www.pdx-consulting.com and www.youaremorethanyouthink.co.uk