1. Make a list! Take time at the start to put all your promotion ideas on a piece of paper, a white board, your phone – wherever you check in regularly. If you have five minutes to spare it can be hard to come up with a quick way to promote your business, but if you have the list you can easily pick something to do.
2. Make a start! Promoting your business can seem daunting, but it’s easier when you can see some progress, so look at that list, pick off something nice and easy and make a start. That might simply be sharing a link to your business on Facebook. Make sure to include a ‘what’s in it for me?’ reason why people should check out your site, but don’t feel you have to sell, sell, sell! Go on … do one little thing now to promote your business.
3. Make a commitment! So, you’ve done one easy thing to promote your business, that’s great. Now, you just need to repeat that every day. Book time in your diary, just as you would with any other business meeting. Promoting your business is just as important as talking to clients or the bank manager. Have the same commitment, book an appointment with yourself, and turn up every day. I do business promotion first thing, and sometimes I might do a small job at the end of the day too.
4. Make it easy! If you look at your big list, some ideas will be easy to do in a few minutes, others will take more time. Break down the big ideas into smaller stages. Add in how much time they might take, and when they need to be done. This can help if you are building up to an event. Add each small step to your diary to help everything seem easy. Planning in time for your promotion helps you avoid overwhelm.
5. Make it fun! There are day to day promotional tasks, such as social media work, which can seem repetitive, so plan in some things to make promoting your business fun. Look for competitions to enter, like this one where you share your start up story – there are often competitions and challenges that can help you spread the word about your business in a fun way, with the chance of unexpected or unique prizes that can further help you grow your business.
This post is in association with Thawte Start Up Stories