Mothers on maternity leave don’t find it easy, with 47% finding themselves feeling lonely during this period, and a further 85% believing big businesses should help overcome the financial barrier of returning to work by helping with childcare costs. But for those lucky enough to secure affordable, flexible childcare, actually returning to work can bring a whole host of additional worries. According to a recent survey more than a third of women felt so unsupported and isolated on their return that they considered handing in their notice and the current churn-rate for women in the UK within the first year of work post-childbirth is an astonishing 43%.
Cuckooz Nest provides a creche integrated working space so that parents can return to work while receiving the support they need both professionally and as a parent. Cuckooz Nest is campaigning to ensure every parent has this option and that businesses and employers do all they can to make the transition a little easier, but in the meantime, here are our top ten tips on surviving your first 90 days back at work after maternity leave.
Charlie Rosier, Co-founder of Cuckooz Nest, commented:
“For me and many women I know, maternity leave was short and sweet, and I made the choice to return to work earlier than others. However, whilst this meant I didn’t get to breastfeed for as long as I might have liked or been on hand to witness those first steps or the first time in a paddling pool; at least I didn’t have a massive shock to the system when returning to work.
Of course, it’s one of the most wonderful experiences a mother can have but returning to the working world from the isolated life of maternity leave can be very difficult. While things are starting to change, we wanted to share some top tips that we’ve collected personally and via our Nest members, to help working mums that might be struggling with their return to work.”
- Take one day at a time, accept it will be a period of transition for everyone involved. Understand the mental and emotional transition vs. focusing on the physical/practical aspects. Returning to work after being a parent is a SIGNIFICANT LIFE TRANSITION EVENT. Life is different, work is different but most importantly YOU are different.
- Split household chores between you and your partner. Batch cook get a cleaner, or accept life is messier now 😊
- You are not superwoman. Go easy on yourself.
- Be fully present when at work and at home.
- Have nice new clothes to wear to help your confidence.
- Write a daily list on your way home of what you achieved and be proud of yourself.
- Drink s**t loads of coffee.
- Seem as reliable, unflappable and punctual as possible.
- Identify people around you who are positive, encouraging and give you strength, try to shut out the people who do the opposite.
- Have something to look forward to.
- Loneliness on maternity leave statistics sourced via the BBC
- Number of parents that believe big business should help with childcare costs sourced via Cuckooz Nest survey
- Cuckooz provides serviced apartments curated by independent designers to offer an authentic home away from home experience for those travelling for both business and leisure.
- Cuckooz currently operates apartments across eight locations in London.
- Cuckooz was founded in 2016 by Charlie Rosier and Fabienne O’Neil.
- Prior to Cuckooz, Charlie Rosier held senior positions at property investment firms IP Global Ltd and Blackfish Ltd in Hong Kong.
- Fabienne O’Neil has almost a decade’s experience managing large-scale property, design and technology events.
- In 2018, the Cuckooz co-founders launched Cuckooz Nest; London’s first fully flexible co-working space, with an Ofsted registered creche for children under two.
Russell@Properganda.co t: 07930 336544
James@Properganda.co t: 07584248960
If you would rather not receive future communications from Properganda PR, let us know by clicking here.
Properganda PR, Lower Ground 10 Finsbury Square, London, Greater London EC2A 1AF United Kingdom