What would life be without the occasional cake? The Stem & Glory chefs have created some delicious vegan cakes, which retain the Stem & Glory healthy twist by throwing fresh fruit in at every opportunity. The beauty of most vegan cakes is that they are actually simpler than non-vegan cakes; mix the wet ingredients, mix the dry ingredients, then mix the two together and voila! Read this recipe from Louise Palmer Masterton, founder of Stem & Glory, then why not make your first foray into vegan baking?
VEGAN CLASSIC CHOCOLATE CAKE
This is a really simple and delicious large cake that can be served in many different ways. You could make a large rectangular cake with a layer of ganache on top. You could also make a double layer round cake with buttercream inside and ganache on top. We have made it into a vegan black forest gateau, and it’s the perfect cake for a kids’ party 🙂
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 2 cups sugar (I use soft dark brown)
- 1 ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate ganache icing
- 1 bar dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ⅓ cup soya/oat cream
- 3 cups (ish) Icing sugar
- Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl
- Mix the wet in another bowl
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together (do not over mix)
- Pour the mixture into a large greased and lined baking tin.
- Bake 30-45 mins at 180c. The middle of the cake should be firm to touch, and a knife should come out clean when inserted gently into the middle of the cake. One large cake will take longer than two small ones.
Chocolate ganache icing
- Melt the chocolate, and oil and soya/oat cream together.
- Add the icing sugar bit by bit until you have a thick, but just about pourable, consistency.
- Then spread over the cake quickly before it sets!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Louise Palmer-Masterton is founder of multiple award-winning restaurants Stem & Glory; hip and trendy but accessible plant-based restaurants, serving delicious gourmet vegan food from locally sourced ingredients. Stem & Glory also offers click-and-collect and local delivery in London and Cambridge. In addition, Stem & Glory offers a range of ready meals, finish at home pizzas, and recipe kits available for delivery across the UK. www.stemandglory.uk www.stemandglory.uk